The School of Sociology in the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences will offer two scholarships known as the ANU Futures Scheme PhD Scholarship to support students while they undertake a PhD in Sociology at the University.
Join a project that will introduce experimental sociology to the southern hemisphere and work towards reducing inequality. Research shows that people with high status and power have trouble imagining the world from others’ perspectives (i.e., role-taking). We will use laboratory methods to test ways to improve role-taking and reduce the effects of status inequalities in interpersonal interaction. The project will develop and use innovative tools, including virtual reality. The ANU Futures Scheme PhD Scholarship will support you during your PhD studies in the School of Sociology. Apply now.
As a scholarship recipient, you will
- Run laboratory studies to test role-taking interventions including reading exercises, writing exercises, and virtual reality simulations
- Receive mentorship in the fields of sociological social psychology and experimental methodology
- Engage in international travel and collaboration with laboratory sociologists in the United States and participate in a symposium at the ANU.
- Write research articles and book chapters and present findings at national and international professional meetings.
Field of study
Role taking – Sociology
The award will be available each year to a prospective student who is:
- a domestic student;
- enrolling full-time in a program of study for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the School of Sociology at the Australian National University;
- Interested in learning to conduct laboratory experiments
- Willing to collaborate with a research team
The scholarship offers a stipend of $30 000 per annum paid fortnightly in arrears.
A recipient is eligible to receive a reimbursement of up to $500 for costs associated with the production of the thesis.
Recipients are also eligible for paid medical, maternity/paternity leave.
How to apply
Applications are completed and submitted here. Applications close 31st October 2018 with candidates commencing in 2019. You will also need to submit an application for acceptance into the Doctor of Philosophy program for consideration for this scholarship.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org (include ‘ANU Futures Scheme’ in the subject line)
T: (02) 6125 2734